Apply today – Library Assistant Job Opening
The Durland Alternatives Library (DAL) is accepting applications for the position of part-time Library Assistant. We’re looking for someone who’s attracted to the subject matter and mission of our library to transform what people believe is possible by showing alternatives to mainstream society.
About the Durland Alternatives Library
Since our beginning in 1974, the library collection has focused on alternatives to mainstream perspectives. Our first books were about alternative communities & lifestyles in the 1970s. Our
collection has since grown to include a variety of topics, all with themes of social justice, ecology, and transformative action.
Along with the library collection, our Prisoner Express program has grown to serve over 4,000 incarcerated men and women throughout the US with correspondence programs and a book program. Much of the library’s day-to-day operations have evolved to fill this need alongside our patron services.
The Durland Alternatives Library is a project of the Center for Transformative Action (CTA).*
The Library Assistant [LA] will assist in the management of the library’s unique collection and cataloging system.
The LA will, with training, assume a leadership position in the Prisoner Express Project.
The LA will supervise, train and mentor student employees and volunteers on their assigned tasks.
The LA provides computer support for library initiatives and oversees the library’s social media outreach efforts.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Works closely with library director to understand, manage, and cultivate the collection
- Catalog, update, repair, and review library records
- Follow, create, and build upon library procedures and other documentation
- Provide training to student staff or oversee volunteers
- Respond to patron requests or questions about their account
- Operate the library circulation desk
- Oversee DAL’s social media outreach efforts
Required Knowledge, Skill, and Abilities
- Attention to detail
- Clear and consistent communication skills
- Resourceful, enthusiastic, flexible, diplomatic, and cooperative qualities
- Knowledge of our subject mate
- Commitment to providing high-quality service
- Familiarity with cloud-based documentation like Google Drive and Docs
- Proficient with databases, and a willingness to learn if n
- Ability to formulate questions, analyze problems, and carry out decision-making process.
- Works cohesively in a team environment, as well as independently
- Proficient in using various social media platforms to advance the DAL’s mission
Salary and Benefits
The part-time position is 20 – 24 hours per week, starting at $20 per hour, and includes health insurance options. The position is available to begin in Sept 2022.
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information of three professional references in .pdf format to Gary Fine, Library Director, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please state “Library Assistant Application” in the subject line. All applications will be acknowledged by return email. Applications received by July 30, 2022 will receive first consideration.
*The Durland Alternatives Library is a project of the Center for Transformative Action (CTA), a non-profit, tax-exempt, educational organization chartered by the Board of Regents of the State of New York. The successful applicant will be an employee of CTA.
CTA is an equal opportunity employer. Employees are hired based on their merit, ability, experience, and training without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, familial status, marital status, age, mental or physical disability, size, religious affiliation, genetic make-up, military/veteran status, domestic violence victim/survivor status, sexual and other reproductive health decisions, or past participation in the discrimination complaint process. We are committed to being an inclusive organization and encourage people from diverse communities to apply.